Monday, October 26, 2015

Heading south

The Richard & Arnold has a lazy roll every time another ferry leaves the dock here in Atlantic Highlands, NJ in Sandy Hook. We came down the east river with the outgoing tide doing a brisk 10 knots. That's good going. I marveled at the UN building, saw a tram passing overhead from Manhattan to Governor's Island, was in awe of the Statue of Liberty, but nervous leaving the East River through 'the narrows' at lower Manhattan because I've never seen so much water traffic. Ferry boats to Staten Island, Tugs with barges, US Coast Guard, a couple of sailboats, tankers and us. We passed the four masted Peking docked alongside an old lightship and the Sherman Zwicker from Maine. I think that's how its spelled. All this and helicopters and airplanes overhead. I think we went under eight bridges today. We could see the traffic and marveled at how slow we moved in comparison. The day went smoothly, light winds, sun and we docked early. Last night we moored in City Island and walked around the town, visited the City Island Maritime Museum. Did you know that City Island is famous for building racing yachts like 'Freedom' that won the America's Cup. The town built many famous wooden sailing yachts, but when fiberglass took over the boat building industry and waterfront property became so valuable (1970-80's) the old boat yards began to close down. None of the big boat building yards have survived, but there is a sail maker there and a small travel lift for taking out boats. Barron's Boat yard, good people and the mooring was only $35 for the night. There is a full moon tonight and because we have a long ride tomorrow we will most likely leave around midnight to cruise the Jersey shore. It will most likely be 16 - 20 hour trip and we'd like to enter Cape May while there is still light. We shall see how it goes. Also the forecast is good weather for tomorrow and then Wednesday it turns yucky. We hope to make it in to port before the wind picks up and rain comes down.  I have asked myself why I choose to do this trip and I honestly don't know. It is something we've always talked about and now it's happening.
Living aboard is comfortable. We have everything we need and I'm content. Miss my grandkids like crazy, face-time works and I talk to them every other night. Well it's almost 8pm and I need to hit the bunk. Have safe travels out there in your cars going 60 miles an hour - I feel like a turtle.      

No comments:

Post a Comment