Thursday, October 29, 2015

Delaware Bay, C & D Canal

Today the Delaware and the C & D canal. We left the Cape May Inlet at 7:00 am and went through the Cape May Canal. We had the tides on our side and slid through doing 9 knots. When we came out the other side and turned up Delaware Bay, Dave put up the small jib sail that we brought for just this purpose. We had a southwest wind that pulled us along at a brisk 10 knots. Really felt like we were flying. Its not really that fast, just about 14 miles an hour but on the water - for us - that's fast. The tide stayed with us the entire route and brought us to the C & D canal at noon. The sail had to be brought in and there was some busy time while Dave took the sail in, brought the stabilizer arms up and tried to keep a steady course. He's a good mariner and I have to admit I'm not much help. I hope I'm learning. I need to get the hang of tying up properly, so as not to embarrass ourselves and keep us safe. I get anxious when entering port, leaving port, navigating and just about everything else that goes with the mariner's life. The only time I'm truly relaxed is when we tie up. Dave says I'll get better at it. At least I've not been seasick on this trip and I stopped taking Bonnine. We are currently tied into the Chesapeake Inn, Restaurant and Marina. Had a great hot shower, nice lunch out (shrimp, crab cakes and salad and a beer (to calm my nerves). Now I'm back at the keyboard where I feel most comfortable. I have not written a word on the new book, although I have plenty of ideas in my head. The days fly by while I check the charts, watch the weather, wind and tides while planning our next stop. When I get really nervous I call my son, the professional mariner, and he tells me what I need to know. He's a peach. I can hardly believe we've been gone only 9 days, seems like a lifetime. We took a walk after lunch to the Municipal Marina on the other side and found out we could have tied up for free. Dave saw a boat and said, "That looks like Paul's boat, the 'Scup'. He's the assistant harbor master in Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard." Well wouldn't you know but he was right on. We sat and talked with Paul for awhile, he's made this trip many times. He's heading for Key West and we hope we meet up with him again. If not it will be next spring in Oak Bluffs.
Early night for me tonight. The days run took 7 hours and now its time to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment