Monday, November 16, 2015

Tiny home and a world with big problems

It is so calm where we are tied up that it doesn't feel like I'm on a boat, just a tiny home. I remember seeing programs on HGTV about tiny houses and now I know how it feels. It feels good. I don't run up and down the stairs carrying my vacuum and I don't have to walk fifteen feet to put food on the table from the stove, I just pass it over to Dave. We have access to a laundry at the marina so I'm sitting in the club house while the machine does its thing. OK, it might be easier to carry the laundry to the basement, but it really isn't to difficult to carry it over here.  Last night we plugged in a tv episode of Justified, a friend gave us all the dvd's of the program, unfortunately they start at episode 3 so we were a bit confused as to who was who. Anyway it was the first time we'd seen anything resembling tv. I've not seen or heard the news for three weeks. When Dave came back from his morning stroll to the coffee shop with the news of the Paris bombing I cried. We need to stop calling these lunatics - terrorists -and begin calling them what they are: cowards. We cannot live in fear of them because they are cowards who think they can terrorize people. We cannot be afraid of cowards who hide their faces when committing murder. They pick on those who cannot defend themselves and they do not love life and therefore do not love God. For no matter what they say or preach or believe, they could not possible love God. I was taught that God is love.  Let's not give them any power over us, they are not terrorists, they are cowards.

Maybe I'm hiding my head in the sand, but it feels good to disconnect from the realities of the world for a while. It's why we go on vacation, to remove ourselves from our daily routines, tie up in unfamiliar waters and unplug the tv. I miss family, friends, neighbors and familiar faces at the Stop & Shop, but I'm surprised at how little I miss the TV, the house, and all that stuff.

I received an email that made me very happy. My book, The Fishermen's Ball has been chosen for review by Publisher's Weekly. Needless to say I'm thrilled. So much so that I began writing again, first time since we left. Dave said I needed a little prodding and I guess this was the impetus. I started polishing Arethusa. The review most likely won't be out for a number of weeks, if I hear anything I'll let you know. In the meantime if anyone happens to see it, would you save me a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment