Friday, November 6, 2015

Norfolk and the Navy

I wanted to add a small post about where we spent the night because I'm so impressed with what surrounds us. We have reached mile marker 000 of the Inter Coastal Waterway at a bend in the Elizabeth River. Everywhere I look I see America. People working on ships. Ships that protect us, serve our country, keep us safe. This is the heartbeat of the Navy and it makes me proud. It is amazing what we can do when we are pulling together.  The port of Norfolk / Portsmouth has got to be the busiest place I've ever been on the water. We went from a tiny sleepy harbor one night to a bustling waterway the next. The trip is giving us a picture of our country from the deck of a moving boat. A strange way of seeing our coastal communities. This is the I-95 of the waterway. Now that we are tucked into the ICW all we have to do is follow the charts, buoys and cruising guides. Its like planning a trip across the country by car only much slower, there's time to prepare. We are not without some anxious moments, like passing a tug and barge in a narrow channel, or when the depth sounder read no water under us, or tying up feet from the stern of a million dollar yacht (don't even think of touching it). We keep moving south. The temperature is 76 and I'm barefoot and sleeveless. I believe this is why we are doing it. I checked the Provincetown weather today and it said 60 with fog, so not so wintery yet. Still this is an adventure of a lifetime for us. I'm still learning about how to navigate, keep the boat headed in the right direction and how to tie up so that we look like a smart crew. The yachts we've seen are absolutely remarkable, right out of James Bond movies. Lots of smaller boats as well, but nothing at all like our Richard & Arnold. Everyone asks us about her. She's unique, that's for sure. I'm comfortable living here and I'm pretty sure I'll make it through the winter without going stir crazy. My grandson is doing much better, I'll talk to him again tonight, he's home from the hospital. Thanks to the many who have send get well wishes. To all my friends, family and fellow boaters: Fair winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment